Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Cruising & Liveaboard Forum > Living Aboard
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2007

sawfish is on a distinguished road
Liveaboard Rentals

Hi All!

This site looks fantastic. Seems to have plenty of information regarding sailing in general and lots of specialized topics in specific. First place I came to is the "Liveaboards" forum, because that is just what my wife and I would like to do.

I performed a search before asking this question and found no thread:

Is there such a service that allows "renting" of liveaboards? I'm familiar with the day, weekend or even weekly rentals, but what about longer term? This would be with the idea of "try before you buy".

Any suggestions?

Fair Winds,

DS in SD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nope...as far as I know, it doesn't exist... they make far more money chartering...and if you're going to be just living aboard... it is going to get really expensive to do that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-22-2007

Kernix is on a distinguished road
Right, just buy an older smaller boat - who much are you paying in real estate/rent, ulitities, etc?
Old 02-22-2007

My land-based overhead (pretty decent neighborhood) is just over $3500/mo total including rent to somebody else. I could own a very, very nice boat (understanding there will always be slip fees going to somebody else too) in some of the most prime real estate in SoCal for less, including all associated costs with living aboard.

We've been researching for about a year now and although some things seem daunting sometimes, we're moving forward. When the reason is big enough, the facts don't count.

The trick now is to find a boat we can be OK with, because we need the transferable slip. Then, we can pursue the boat we really want once the slip is ours. We've positioned ourselves for this opportunity and it's a waiting game now. Maybe we'll get lucky and the boat will actully be the 'right' one, too.

I met a lady just before a Beer-Can race one afternoon who told me she was renting a liveaboard right there in the marina for the boat I crew aboard and now cannot locate her again to ask specifics. She was purchasing a bigger boat and was renting this other one in the meantime and it wasn't a chartered boat or a friend's either. It was a legit business with reasonable fees she said. I'm actually heading to the dockmaster this weekend to inquire about it.

It just seems like it would be a realistic trial, especially for my wife who has more reservations about it all than me....she's the smart one . However, she is willing to really give it an honest try, because of many factors.

Any advice steering me toward my goal would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-10-2007

jimi71 is on a distinguished road
Sawfish,

I would really like to know how you guys make out.

Im in the process of doing the same thing. Selling my house and picking up a 44 foot motoryacht for under $20,000. It will be the first time living full-time on a boat (although I have friends who have been doing it for years).

Where are you guys considering?

J.
Old 03-14-2007

Jimi71

Home port will be San Diego. I like traditional styles (Vagabond, Hans Christen, Baba), my wife likes more modern since they tend to afford a lot more natural light in the saloon (Hunters, Catalinas). But, we will take whatever comes with a transferable slip in a decent marina here in SD (within reason.)

When are you going to "cutover" to the boat, when the house is sold? And do you have a spouse to consider?

DS
Old 04-29-2007

islander46 is on a distinguished road
There is a boat and breakfast in California somewhere

read title
Old 04-30-2007

Islander46

What does this mean?
Old 04-30-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Sawfish-

I would ignore Islander46... most likely a spam bot getting ready to flood sailnet with a load of spam...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-30-2007

sailingdog

Ahhh, thanks for that tip!