Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Running the outboard out of the water for 30 seconds

Does anyone know if it's ok to run an outboard engine out of the water? I'm talking for 30 seconds just to "turn over" the gas in the carburator to help prevent it turning into shallack. Also to put oil back on the cylinder walls.

The engine is a 20hp Tohatsu that's hanging off the stern of our boat. It's about 30 degrees here. I figure it will take some time for the internal engine parts to get hot.

Gratuitous winter picture of the outboard

Plan B is to lift it off the pushpit and let it hang into the water off one of the davits. At 117 pounds, it's not something I like to do too often if I can avoid it.

Plan C is to get the ear-muff looking device to clamp on the water intake and run the engine for longer periods of time. It's not easy to find flowing water here though. I'd probably hook it up to our washdown pump when the temp get's above 32.

After last winter, when it was run completely out of fuel and stored in our warm furnace room, it took the whole summer to run right again. I'm looking to avoid that by running it periodically throughout the winter.

So will it hurt the engine to run it for 30 seconds without water???

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
It KILLS the water pump in about 11 seconds more or less

MUCH better to use a tall 5 gallon bucket or the correct ear muffs to keep the pump wet as it will self drain if the motor is level

IF you winterize it and drain the fuel bowl there is no need to do anything over the winter BUT the motor would like a cover as it helps a lot with the UV also

Most do have a drain screw for this reason

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 12-28-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Does anyone know if it's ok to run an outboard engine out of the water? I'm talking for 30 seconds just to "turn over" the gas in the carburator to help prevent it turning into shallack. Also to put oil back on the cylinder walls.

The engine is a 20hp Tohatsu that's hanging off the stern of our boat. It's about 30 degrees here. I figure it will take some time for the internal engine parts to get hot.

Gratuitous winter picture of the outboard

Plan B is to lift it off the pushpit and let it hang into the water off one of the davits. At 117 pounds, it's not something I like to do too often if I can avoid it.

Plan C is to get the ear-muff looking device to clamp on the water intake and run the engine for longer periods of time. It's not easy to find flowing water here though. I'd probably hook it up to our washdown pump when the temp get's above 32.

After last winter, when it was run completely out of fuel and stored in our warm furnace room, it took the whole summer to run right again. I'm looking to avoid that by running it periodically throughout the winter.

So will it hurt the engine to run it for 30 seconds without water???

Regards,
Brad
Brad--

While the engine may remain cool due to the temps, the impellor in your water-pump won't be too happy. Why not pull your plugs and spray fogging oil into the cyclinders and then give the starting line a few tugs. Absent plugs, the engine will turn over easily distributing the oil on the cyclinder walls then reinstall the plugs. On that motor you should also be able to pull the fuel bowl quite easily. Just dump it out and wipe it dry with a lint-free cloth.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 12-28-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Very good comments from the other posters, especially the concerns about the impeller. If it was my motor, I would opt for plan C.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
Old 12-28-2010

mitchbrown is on a distinguished road
I have found that most of the carburators on these outboards drain when you tilt the engine all the way up. the gas usually just runs out into the engine cowling where it will evaporate.
Old 12-28-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
It KILLS the water pump in about 11 seconds more or less
OUCH!

Quote:
MUCH better to use a tall 5 gallon bucket...
Now that's a simple, effective, great idea. I love it!

Thanks everyone for the input.

Regards,
Brad

. .

. .
. .
. .
. .
Old 12-28-2010

JKCatalina310 is on a distinguished road
20 hp?

What kind of sailor has a 20 hp dinghy motor?
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” -Mark Twain
Old 12-28-2010

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you're getting some good advice. I would question the value of starting the engine at all on the off season, for the purpose of keeping the fuel from turning to shellac. Outboards don't like old fuel. Turning it over won't make it any younger. Absolutely, at the end of the season, put the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer in your fuel and run the engine long enough for the stabilized fuel to fill the carb. Very easy...very effective. Then, fogging the engine is a good idea, with the engine running, but not as important as the stabilizer.

And as the others have said, running it dry will destroy your impeller rather quickly.

The five gallon bucket will work well enough. In neutral
Old 12-28-2010

dabnis is on a distinguished road
All above comments are good, drain the carb. Running it "dry" may
leave a small amount of fuel which will evaporate and leave debris
which may be sucked up and clog jets the next time you start it. I
have used Berryman's B-12 fuel additive for many years in outboards,
motorcycles, generators, snowblowers and cars on an ongoing basis
with no fuel related problems. No affiliation and other products may
work as well? The most important thing is to drain the fuel bowl, and
yes, the impeller won't like being run dry.

Dabnis
Old 12-28-2010

tra is on a distinguished road
Ethanol

I'd like to add a comment about ethanol. My son has been employed in the marine industry for years and most of his repair work is fuel related. He advises using fuel additives specifically designed to protect engines from the potential corrosive effects of ethanol and is constantly checking for water in his own fuel. Any gasoline fueled equipment stored for long periods may be adversely impacted by ethanol.