Heaving to at high speed.."the hand brake of the seas"...video - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Heaving to at high speed.."the hand brake of the seas"...video

I shot this video yesterday, and it that shows how a heave to at high speed is done..as seen from the outside..thought you may benefit of this..

this manouver is particularly imortant to know and know how to execute in case of a MOB situation, while sailing upwind at high speeds..

With this manouver, if done rapidly I can heave to and end up picking up the MOB almost within an arm's lenght of by side or stern...

Please practice it, and if you have any questions just ask...

Basically it consists of a tack without tacking the genoa, to windward, locking the rudder fast and setting the main, rapidly at its best heave to position.

The boat stops moving immediately and will slowly drifts back to where it was coming from...

Please enjoy and try it out..one never knows....

The video shows how fast the manouver can be done, and how rapidly it stops...

The "hand brake" of the seas...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, that only works if you're going upwind at the time of the MOB incident... if you're going downwind or on a reach, you'll have to do something a bit different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-07-2008
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Your destination is *always* upwind, so you *always* beat.

I've used the quick-stop approach to MOB recovery (which amounts to a heave-to when starting upwind) with an asymmetric spinnaker up flying off a bowsprit with success. I haven't tried it using the pole yet. Frankly, it makes me nervous. Could be expensive.
Old 12-07-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Real gentlemen never sail to windward...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Your destination is *always* upwind, so you *always* beat.

I've used the quick-stop approach to MOB recovery (which amounts to a heave-to when starting upwind) with an asymmetric spinnaker up flying off a bowsprit with success. I haven't tried it using the pole yet. Frankly, it makes me nervous. Could be expensive.
That describes most of sailing...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 12-07-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Of course, that only works if you're going upwind at the time of the MOB incident... if you're going downwind or on a reach, you'll have to do something a bit different.
Crazy Dog...my mother used to say:

"If you have nothing good to say..better say nothing"...or something like that...

This because, as you can see in my quote from the second paragraph of my introductory post, I say:

"this manouver is particularly imortant to know and know how to execute in case of a MOB situation, while sailing upwind at high speeds.."

you blind bastardo sujo.....no bone for you tonight!
Old 12-07-2008

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
You know, modern mono hull sloops can also sail upwind unlike old square riggers or modern katamarans

Alex, I understand the breaking moment, I have more trouble beating at 8 knots?

Beneteau Oceanis 473

full time cruising
Old 12-07-2008

Harvester is on a distinguished road
Giu, After seeing your "heave to" video I practiced it several times to acquire it as a natural instinct. Now I heave to if I want to have a meal, take a nap, etc. Precisely last summer I practiced it as a MOB recovery manoeuvre: threw a lifesaver ring overboard and hove to. It is amazing how close you stay to the "MOB" no matter in what sea condition. It definitely gives me a much higher feeling of safety for the people onboard knowing that if they ever fall OB I'll be there with them in a minute.

And whenever I sail with someone I teach the trick to him or her (just in case I happen to play the roll of the lifesaver one day).
Old 12-07-2008

paulk is on a distinguished road
Eclipse participated in a Safety at Sea Seminar for junior sailors sponsored by the Storm Trysail Club. After a "chalk-talk", we took the juniors took the boat out to see what would happen in "Quick-stop" maneuvers. As Giu says, tacking the boat without freeing the genoa sheet essetially stops the boat from moving away from the victim, and allows you to almost pivot in place. Going upwind in a 12-15 knot breeze, I tossed over a cushion, and on our first try we were back to it within 45 seconds. We fly a symetrical chute, with a pole. The procedure is to tack, all standing, and sort out the mess afterwards. That is what we did. It works equally well. We had no damage to the 3/4oz spinnaker. We must have made a half dozen practice runs. Our times improved from the original 45 seconds. The main problem was that the different juniors steering the boat were dinghy sailors. They were unused to the momentum of a 10 ton keelboat, and would return to the "victim" at 6 or 7 knots, not realizing that they wouldn't be able to slow down as fast as they wanted to when it was time to pick up the "MOB". Grabbing someone at that speed could break limbs or pull others overboard too. This seminar was a real eye-opener for me.
Old 12-07-2008

Cruisingdreamspress is on a distinguished road
The videos on heaving-to remind all sailors to practice this usful maneuver. I would like to see more vidios sent in to help stimulate discussion on techniques.

I hove-to many times on my solo circumnavigation. Through trial and error, I learned a few tricks that others may want to try when they have sea room on a reasonably calm day.

Check out the second video on Guilietta's above thread.

The lady helmsperson comes about in smart fashion and leaves the jib on starboard so as to backwind it. At the same time, one of the crew lets the main all the way out to port. But then, as you listen to the conversation...something isn't quite right..."We're still moving."

Here is what I found on my Hans Christian to solve that problem. Before tacking over to port, I hauled in on the starboard jib sheet as far as possible because I wanted to keep all of the jib on the starboard side of the mast when I came about. Notice in the video, when they tacked, that a good part of the jib (even though sheeted to starboard), bellies out to port of the mast.This causes one of the problems. The jib is still giving some lift and thus still pushes the boat slowly forward. What we want is no forward motion.

In my own case, looking at the video, I would also not have touched the main when I first tacked to port. Instead I would have headed back up to starboard, toward the eye of the wind.My goal is to slow the boat to almost a stop. Careful not to tack back thru the eye of the wind, I work the bow up to the eye and then back to port several times until I almost put the boat in irons. Allowing the bow to head slightly to port, I then adjust the main inorder to find a balance between the flattened jib tacked down on the starboard rail (wanting to push the bow to port) while I counteract that force by adjusting the main to create enough weather helm so as to push the bow to starboard.

If I get it right, the boat stays put as if anchored at an angle of about 45 degrees off the wind, drifting down wind when its blowing a gale or crabbing slowly forward in light air.

Try it ...you'll like it.
38 feet
S/V Mika Photos on

Old 12-07-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Real gentlemen never sail to windward...
.....especially in a catamaran!!!!