Can you change out a through hull speed sensor while in the water? - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 07-16-2009

donhaller is on a distinguished road
Can you change out a through hull speed sensor while in the water?

I'm also getting ready to purchase a Raymarine ST40 Bidata and need to install the paddle wheel speed sensor in an existing through-hull that is currently plugged. The old paddlewheel has been laying in the bottom of the hull next to it since I bought the boat. I was wondering if I can quickly pull the plug that is threaded into the thru-hull and replace the new one? Or... will I have too much water pressure coming in, to install the new one?
Old 07-16-2009
Don Radcliffe

donradclife is on a distinguished road
People do it all the time to clear fouled paddle wheels. Be prepared for a fountain of water and move quickly, but you should have no problems pushing in the sensor against the water pressure. Compare the new paddle wheel with the old first to make sure that the new one will fit, and lube the o-rings with silicon grease or vaseline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-16-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Be sure to compare the paddlewheel dimensions AND the threaded cap... it's quite unlikely that they will be interchangeable, esp if the brands are different....

Changing the thruhull itself cannot be done wet... you'll need at least a half lift or a tide grid to get that job done.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 07-16-2009

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
If your thru-hull is like mine (old B&G), it has a little flap that pops open to block most of the incoming water whenever the plug or sensor is removed ... makes it even easier.
Old 07-16-2009

huguley3 is on a distinguished road
Here is a video I took when I replaced the paddlewheel on my sensor. this is taking the plug out and putting the sensor back in. Its a pretty good stream of water. And yes I know I did not have the wheel aligned right. I fixed that later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
30' Islander Bahama
Old 07-16-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Airmar makes most of the transducers for the major marine instrument manufacturer's. Most times for the paddle wheel transducers it's plug that fits in to the unit it's self that changes. What I trying to say is the transducers are the same they make different plug ends. Chances are that if the thru hull is an Airmar you should have no problem.
Airmar Marine Products Home Page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 07-16-2009

GaryHLucas is on a distinguished road
So how high exactly will the water shoot? Most people are surprised to learn that it will be slightly LESS than the water line! So while it seems like there is lots of pressure it really is very little, and there is no chance of the water hitting the overhead as many people expect.

Gary H. Lucas
Old 07-16-2009

donhaller is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by huguley3 View Post
Here is a video I took when I replaced the paddlewheel on my sensor. this is taking the plug out and putting the sensor back in. Its a pretty good stream of water. And yes I know I did not have the wheel aligned right. I fixed that later.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2009

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
The water doesn't shoot out, but more just low-pressure-gushes.

The mistake a lot of people make is trying to snag-out the one and slap in the other in one fell swoop. Thing to do is take out the one, then slap a hand over the top of the thru-hull, grab the other, lift your hand off the thru-hull and quickly put the other in-place. Done right, you'll get maybe 2-3 cups of water in the boat. (Tho I usually end-up with more than that .)

Jim
Old 07-17-2009

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
I just did that underway last weekend. Even though the bottom was clean, something got stuck on the paddlewheel while under sail out a few miles. When I sponged the water up afterward I squeezed the sponge into a water glass. I measured about 10 ounces of water that came in the boat, even though it looks like more when you're doing it. (I wasn't as fast or smooth as the video, either).

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.