Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-11-2008

drlove is on a distinguished road
Question about halyard and line colors

Maybe this is a dumb question but here goes anyway.

Are there any standards or usual colors for certain lines? I am redoing my running rigging, halyards mainly, and didn't know if you normally used, say, green for main, red for jib, blue for spinnaker, or whatever. Or if halyards were usually one color and sheets were a different color?

As I was looking at new lines I was wondering what color I would order and thought I would at least ask if there were any accepted standards.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
It doesn't really matter, IMHO....

However, I think most people have a white base weave with a colored stripped in it for their halyards (Jib and Main) and maybe a more colored one for their spinnaker. But if you want a green one for you main, a blue for the jib, yellow for the spinny, etc. go for it.

I have been on race boats where everything is different colored so that they are easy to tell apart when people are raising the spinny, rolling in the jib, extending the pole, the different sheets, etc. all at teh same time. On other boats that don't race, most are all pretty much white. Our boat is this way

DrB
Old 11-11-2008

hotdogs is on a distinguished road
Line colors

My understanding is that there is no broad standard for line colors. That said, at the club where I sail, here are the colors that are used slightly more often than not:

Main halyard - white with blue/red flecks
Jib halyard - blue with white/red flecks
Spin halyard - white with red flecks

Main sheet - red, orange or white
Jib sheets - usually blue
Spin sheets - red and green to correspond to port/starboard. These colors are reversed for the one boat with separate sheets and guys.

Twings - white with red flecks
Topping lift - purple
Foreguy - yellow (these fade quickly and tend to look white, though)

I think the main value, though, is to have the colors different so that when you bring a non-sailor aboard you can identify a rope by color instead of function (eg, "purple" instead of "topping lift").
Old 11-11-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
I keep reds and greens separate..

Red on port green on right...hot colours on port cold colours on stbd.

Halyards are the same.
Old 11-11-2008

Of course, a lot depends on the type of line. Some only comes with white background but others may have choice of background colors.

Anyway, I didn't think there was a standard but you never know until you ask.
Old 11-11-2008
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
A different colour code for each line, especially those on the same side of the boat. Try untangling two line of the same colour, or releasing the wrong one, for light entertainment.
Old 11-11-2008

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
There isn't a standard, but try to apply your own logic. I have green for stbd jib halyard, red for port jib halyard, black (really dark blue) for spin halyard, white for topping lift, blue for downhaul, white and yellow for main.

Jib sheets are white with blue speck, spin sheets and twings are red/port and green/stbd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I've color-coded my lines by function.. since you can usually tell a starboard line from a port one... the halyard, sheets and furling line for the screacher/spinnaker are red, the lines for the mainsail are blue, the ones for the jib/genoa are green, the topping lift is white, the outhaul is black, etc...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-11-2008

Yeah, I kinda like the idea of one color for all the main controls, one for the jib etc. as it shouldn't be too difficult to tell sheets from halyards. I am also going to use low stretch line for the halyards (crystalyne) and probably sta-set or sta-set x for the sheets so even though the flecks will be the same color, the pattern won't be the same to aid in identification.

As always, thanks for everyone's help and advice.
Old 11-11-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't use StasetX for sheets... it's really too stiff to work well.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.