Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-10-2008

becky52 is on a distinguished road
Drive Belt For Autohelm 4000

Does anyone know where we can get a drive belt for an autohelm 4000?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2008

Mikelivingstone is on a distinguished road
Depends where u r based, usually belt kit is available from Autohelm/ raymarine dealers, kit also includes the tool required to open the unit for belt removal.
Mike
Old 07-14-2008

wdtracey is on a distinguished road
ST 4000 belt

do a search on sailnet it was posted first under Irwin and then under gear and maintenance.
Old 07-21-2008

kvaavik is on a distinguished road
Becky,

I went through an exhaustive search a few months ago with no luck. Raymarine is of absolutely no help, they claim to have no more belts and the solution is to buy a new autopilot. The best alternative I could find was to have a belt fashioned from polyurethane with a Kevlar core (the original belt is poly w/steel core). There are a number of companies that will make these custom belts. Good luck, and a pox on Raymarine!

If you do find a place to order or make a belt, you have to know the specifics about the belt. Mine, off an Autohelm 4000, was an AT9-765. "AT" indicates the shape of the tooth profile, "9" indicates 9mm wide, and "765" indicates a circumference of 765 mm. Good luck, I hope you find one.

Last edited by kvaavik; 07-21-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2008
<----- thinking of this

JSL3 is on a distinguished road
I was looking for the service manual the other day for the autohelm 4000 and I downloaded it. The part number is "D169" if that helps. I did a quick search on that part number and couldn't come up with anything other than what kvaavik said about Raymarine's solution being upgrade. A search for "autohelm 4000 parts" did turn up this site tho for a custom belt company Polytech Design Inc - Timing Belts & Pulleys. I couldn't find the part there, but you may try to call them??
Good luck.
Old 07-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
From another thread on the same subject:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdtracey View Post
As anybody who has tried to replace the drive belt knows, Ratheon no longer sells the replacement belt. A belt is available from the supplier below at about $16.00. It has steel cords and is a neoprene

Poly Tech Design
26 West First St
Clifton N.J. 07011
800 859 7659
tHIER NUMBER IS: B10AT5/750 FPS
cOMPARABLE TO::
425 syncroflex AT 5/750

BTW, google is your friend...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-21-2008

rwberman is on a distinguished road
Where can I get a used wheeldrive unit?

My Autohelm ST4000 drive unit seems to have failed. I can't get the belt tension adjusted well enough to hold the clutch in the engaged position. Anybody know someone who wants to sell a working unit without the electronics?

Respite
Old 07-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Rwberman-

Really shouldn't hijack a thread... you'll get better results posting your own thread. Would also suggest you read the post in my signature.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-22-2008

beej67 is on a distinguished road
Might not be as much of a hijack as you think, Dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwberman View Post
My Autohelm ST4000 drive unit seems to have failed. I can't get the belt tension adjusted well enough to hold the clutch in the engaged position. Anybody know someone who wants to sell a working unit without the electronics?

Respite
Berman, try replacing the belt first. The old Raytheon belts tended to stretch, a *lot*, and the Poly Tech belt listed above is shade smaller in diameter than the old Raytheon belts, so they have better holding tension. (I just bought a few)

Also, if the handle won't stay engaged, but your existing unit still works fine as long as the handle is held in place, then just tie a piece of shock cord around the drive and use that to hold the handle down. I know of quite a few people who've done that with their ST4000s, as did I for a couple years before I bought new belts as per above. Yeah, it's kinda ghetto, but what works, works.

If you haven't ever replaced a belt before, it's pretty easy. The front and back halves of the unit snap together, so you can snap them apart (gently) with a long screwdriver. You'll need to remove some screws on a housing to get at the belt, but it's a piece of cake.

Last edited by beej67; 07-22-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-22-2008
<----- thinking of this

JSL3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej67 View Post
Also, if the handle won't stay engaged, but your existing unit still works fine as long as the handle is held in place, then just tie a piece of shock cord around the drive and use that to hold the handle down. I know of quite a few people who've done that with their ST4000s, as did I for a couple years before I bought new belts as per above. Yeah, it's kinda ghetto, but what works, works.
I did a similar thing to solve this problem on my Autohelm 4000. The clutch lever wouldn't stay in the engaged position so I inserted a wide diameter rubber band between the clutch lever and the back of the drive unit. The little bit of friction that the rubber band introduced solved the problem. Agreed, it is a little ghetto, but it works so far.
Good luck.

Last edited by JSL3; 07-22-2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: formatting problem