Not a Member? 

Like Tree1266Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2010
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Also, there are a lot less sailors (by population percentage) on the US than on Europe and most of those are not buying new (modern) boats, but just very old and inexpensive boats (used boats). Another factor is that the proportion of new motor boats versus new sailboats, on US is much higher than in Europe and the boats that are selling new are motor boats (expensive), not sailboats.
Well, admittedly that is us for now. This will be our first boat and will be used and old. But, in Europe the choices of used boats are different than here for sure. Even Firsts are significantly more common than here.

After a few years of learning on an older boat it would sure be nice to have a wide variety of choices when we really decide what we want for the long haul. I see boats from all over the world that we like, it is just not like cars though where you drive down to "auto alley" and see everything at once. Well, unless you can get to the shows. Sure would have been fun to go to the show this week. Darn work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-10-2010

Kenif is on a distinguished road
Okay,

after looking really hard and trying to fault the Faurby how do I mount the bimini?
No bimini - no sale!

Just saved myself heaps.

Really love the style and I hazard a guess at the sailing characteristics. It looks as though she has max sail on and I can cope with that heel angle.

I also like the cockpit. The modern ones with their wide open spaces just don't float my boat.

Kenif
Old 10-10-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenif View Post
Okay,

after looking really hard and trying to fault the Faurby how do I mount the bimini?
No bimini - no sale!

Kenif
Came on, Kenif, you want to put a Bimini on a Classic boat?

Boats with the travel and the sheeting near the wheel can only have a small bimini. If you want a big one you have only to ask for a mid boom sheeting and I am sure they will find the space for a travel there. They will think you are mad, but they will do it .

Seriously, it is possible to mount a small bimini, like this one:

But if you don't mind to lose that classic look, then they can make you a pilot house version. And you can have a bigger bimini.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/34014083/Faurby-424-de-Luxe-Offshore-FAUR

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-10-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2010
Frozen Member

Ok, I will ask about one I have never seen before. This I saw in the trailerable thread. TES, of Poland, has a Canadian distributer and seems very cool.

TES Yacht Canada

Seems to be quite the freeboard, would be an interesting ride heeled over (coming from a total newbie on cruising boats) but would seem to be an ideal east coast US boat.

What are your thoughts on the manufacturer and the boat? There was a review on their site but all it talked about were the comforts, not at all about the sailing. Somehow this gives me pause. Anyone seen one of these in person?

Last edited by AlaskaMC; 10-10-2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-10-2010

Kenif is on a distinguished road
Paulo,
I am afraid that here in the southern climate a bimini is almost mandatory especially for those who are follicly challenged.
Please also remember that I was hard pressed to find a fault and almost had to make something up!

I am not a great fan of pilot hgouse boats but that one looks like an exceptional compromise.

Okay, alright i can live with the boat and am now buying several more lotto tickets.

Kenif
Old 10-10-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
The Faurbys...either of 'em....they are lovely looking things indeed......the Scandivanians do like 'em long and lean don't they ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 10-10-2010
Solina 27

Sternik is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
Ok, I will ask about one I have never seen before. This I saw in the trailerable thread. TES, of Poland, has a Canadian distributer and seems very cool.

TES Yacht Canada

Seems to be quite the freeboard, would be an interesting ride heeled over (coming from a total newbie on cruising boats) but would seem to be an ideal east coast US boat.

What are your thoughts on the manufacturer and the boat? There was a review on their site but all it talked about were the comforts, not at all about the sailing. Somehow this gives me pause. Anyone seen one of these in person?
I have seen the boat twice - once at Toronto Boat Show 2010 (on display), then second time, just recently on the water at Port Credit boat show. My thought - If I was to compare this boat to similar sized boats in terms of finish and attention to detail - there is no comparison. Magnam seemed to be in its own niche, with its finish on much higher standard than, lets call it, the competition. If I already did not have a boat, I would buy it. From the looks and quality of finish alone, using an automotive comparison, it is a BMW. If you download their flyer from the main page, you will find Magnam's polar speed diagram - going pretty much 6kt in wind speed of 11kt gusting to 17kt. That is good speed, considering its weight. For some reason, the Canadian flyer does not show the righting moments, which are shown in their European catalogue here: http://www.tes-yacht.pl/img/tes-yachts-info-2010.pdf There is the most righting moment between approximately 40-60degrees heel, at even at 90 degrees heel, there is as much righting force as at 20 degrees, so boat is stiff. When I walked onto this boat, it barely moved, which I cannot say about some other boats I checked out - this is a definite bonus in my eyes. The boat does carry CE 'B' cert (one level short of full ocean going sailboat), hence my though the boat did earn it and is very seaworthy. Besides, there is a number of them sailing already on the Great Lakes and based on the info I got from the Canadian dealer, they are very popular in the Mediterranean. Personally, if you are relatively close to the Port Credit at Great Lakes, I would arrange a test sail and make your own opinion. Too bad the CY magazine did not sail in stronger winds (based on photos) and mentioned nothing of it. I read through some other reviews at CY website, and they do seem not to mention any nautical performance in general for any boats they test sail.
Old 10-11-2010
Frozen Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternik View Post
I have seen the boat twice - once at Toronto Boat Show 2010 (on display), then second time, just recently on the water at Port Credit boat show. My thought - If I was to compare this boat to similar sized boats in terms of finish and attention to detail - there is no comparison. Magnam seemed to be in its own niche, with its finish on much higher standard than, lets call it, the competition. If I already did not have a boat, I would buy it.
That is very interesting to hear. My wife and I are in the process of purchasing our first cruising boat now and it will be something more low end that we don't mind putting a bit of wear on in the learning process. But, we have already started our dream boat list so to speak and boats like this always catch our attention. The number of boats in this thread that have simply amazed us is crazy.

These boats will definitely be on our "too see" list over the next few years. A trailerable boat that would allow venturing into lots of hard to reach spots yet with performance and comfort would be pretty sweet. We will have to see what we want out of a boat first and I think we will learn a bunch over the next couple years.

I also have to stop drooling over the Faurby 424 too. What a sweet ride that would be. Almost too afraid to even ask how much the sticker is on those. Actually brings up a question. When you saw the Magnum 28, what was the base price if you remember?
Old 10-11-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The TES boats' interior shots are pretty amazing.. definitely looking at the high end for your typical trailer-sailer. Freeboard is kinda tall, but how else are you going to get that space on a shallow hull....

BUT... on the 28 and 32 that sheer line treatment just doesn't do it for me at all, and it's most pronounced on the 32.

Some nice touches - in their gallery (I was unable to capture their images) there's a nicely molded raised bit on the cockpit sole which provides a foot rest for bracing to weather.. and the open transom's pedestal seat is interesting.. -not seen that before. No traveler, though.

I'm guessing this is going to be a pricey number...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 10-11-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenif View Post
Paulo,
I am afraid that here in the southern climate a bimini is almost mandatory especially for those who are follicly challenged.
Please also remember that I was hard pressed to find a fault and almost had to make something up!
Okay, alright i can live with the boat and am now buying several more lotto tickets.

Kenif

Kenif, if you want to live in style you have to make some sacrificies A bimini looks odd on a classic boat and on a classic boat beauty comes first

But I understand you very well, my previous boat had a bimini and this summer when I have asked (to the boss of the Charter company, that is a Dufour dealer) why he had so many Dufours from the Grand Large line and so few from the performance line, the answer come in one word: Biminis. The performance line has an end boom sheeting and it can only have a small bimini.

Regards

Paulo

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.