Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2009

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Best trailerable pocket cruiser

I am searching for a pocket cruiser that is trailerable.

I live near the Great Salt Lake and will put the boat in the marina to sail year round. I will be looking to take vacations to the Channel Islands, Puget Sound, and the like for a week or more at a time.

I have a V-8 Ford Explorer with a 6000 lb towing capacity.
Budget is around $5000.

Here is a list of boats available locally I am considering
Balboa 26
Coronado 25
Catalina 25 (fin keel)
Ranger 23 (tall rig)
Clipper 26

All of them are available locally and have trailers. Some like the Coronado and Clipper need some work (rigging) but are going real cheap. I am not afraid of a project boat but would like to have it in the water by the end of summer.

I realize that the heavier boats may push the limit of our vehicle if this is the case I will trade the Explorer for a 3/4 ton truck over the winter. Please rate these boats or suggest others for consideration.

Thanks
Jordan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
The Ranger 23 is the best sailing boat of the bunch but its a fixed keel and so not so easily launched. (Needs a hoist) But they are my favorite boat of this size and era.

The Clipper is pure junk (I worked at a place that sold them new commissioning them)

The Balboa and Coronados were so-so sailers.

The Catalina offers the best balance of accomodations and sailing ability but its not easy to launch and get underway quickly.

None of these would fall into my idea of a pocket cruiser.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 06-15-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
The Best Trailerable Pocket Cruiser

Welcome On Board General Boats, The Rhodes 22 Sailboat.
TrailerSailorSam likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

Old 06-15-2009

Yep I like the Ranger also.

Thanks Jeff,

The Ranger 23 is on my short list of favorites also as for sail-ability, performance and seaworthyness. The only miss for me on this boat is I wish the V-birth had some more head (sit up) room though. The only one locally is in need of more work than I would want to invest in a boat like this though. If i could find one with a better suit of sales, better rigging and a better trailer I would be all over it. I have been looking all over the country and can't find one equipped like I'd like now that is why I am considering others locally, also I can not find one boat on the market that has sold locally. So I have my choice on some great deals, its hard to be patient when people are give away boats here.

Even at 4' draft you figure I would need a hoist to launch all these boats? What does it cost to hoist a boat in and out of the water? I would not be taking the boat for just the weekend but having to find a hoist would limit my options for locations for week long cruise locations.

Jordan
Old 06-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
Quick search of the Rhodes shows $20,000 and up for used boats.
or I could buy a Flicka or a bigger boat and a used truck to tow it with.

For the price of a new Rhodes, I would be looking at 30 footers.
Old 06-16-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Good Bang for the Buck

It is not on your short list but perhaps worth a look. Macgregor makes a decent recreational trailerable pocket cruiser sailboat that can easily be towed behind your vehicle saving you a vehicle upgrade. It can be towed with any vehicle that has a class 3 or higher rating. You will be hard pressed to get one as cheap as the price range you are quoting but what you save on vehicle upgrade can be put towards a higher price point.
I have been sailing/towing mine for 7 seasons and quite enjoy it. It has more room below than any other 26' sailboat I have been on. I have sailed it all up and down the Georgia Straight and all through the Pacific Northwest. It is idealy suited to this venue. They are inexpensive to maintain and a used one will likely have every mod and upgrade already done to it. They are versatile, easy to operate and easily singlehanded. I have invested considerably into mine to enhance my own enjoyment and have much more planned for it. This year I'll make another cruise through the San Juans & Gulf Islands and look forward to many more years of sailing it. It may not be everyones choice but definitely worth a look though.
Old 06-16-2009

mstern is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't have called any of the boats on your list "trailerable". You might be able to put them on a trailer, but I don't see how you could launch any of them from a boat ramp (at least not any ramp I have seen). Not a bad list if you are ok with needing a crane to launch. I would also add to the list the Pearson 26. Cheap, available, nice sailer and standing headroom. btw, I would search out a pop-top version of the catalina 25. Its nice to have standing headroom on a vacation, although given the other boats on your list, it doesn't seem to be a must-have for you.

If you really want to be able to launch from a ramp easily, you will have to limit yourself to boats with centerboards, swing keels, stub keels and/or water ballast. The Catalina 25 does come in a swing-keel model, making it much easier to launch (although a worse sailer) than its fin keel cousin. If you consider going this route, I would also put the Oday 25 on the list. Stub keel with centerboard for easier launching, similar build quality to Catalina.
Old 06-17-2009

WesterlyPageant is on a distinguished road
It wight be worth looking at some of the English bilge keel boats. They have a shallow draw and can be very roomy for thier size.

Here are some pictures of a Westerly Pageant: Westerly Pageant

Old 06-17-2009

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Quick search of the Rhodes shows $20,000 and up for used boats.
or I could buy a Flicka or a bigger boat and a used truck to tow it with.

For the price of a new Rhodes, I would be looking at 30 footers.
You asked for the best "Trailerable"

Never Forgotten

Old 06-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubb2 View Post
You asked for the best "Trailerable"
Ya I know and I have heard good things about the Rhodes, but was shocked by the price. Both me and the breadwinner have had a raise recently so have some money to spend but not that kind.

I guess I mean a boat that can be put on a trailer or comes with a trailer not necessarily a trailer sailor, meaning easily launchable. My plan would be one or two week long cruises on the coast each year and in the likelihood I will move in the next few years, I want to be able to take the boat with me. My boat will sit basically in a marina as i am not gifted with lots of time off but, have evenings to sail and would love to spend weekends aboard. Since I am 1000 miles from the coast most boats here do come with a trailer.

I am off today, here is the list of boats I plan on looking at today

Catalina 27
Catalina 25
Macgregor 25
Ranger 23

I know the choices are all over the map as far as types but they are whats local and within our budget. I would be happy with any boat I get to sail on, I am sure our useage will vary with whatever boat we choose.

I will report back with todays survey results.

Jordan

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.