Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Boat Review and Purchase Forum
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Oday or Hunter?

I am shopping for a new (to me) boat in the 26-30 range and am between a couple of Oday models and a couple of Hunter models, all of the mid 80s vintage. Anyone have any advice? With Oday as a company gone, are they bad boats to buy?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-14-2006

captain conrad is on a distinguished road
Dont buy an ODay or hunter If you want a nice boat look at Catalina
Old 06-14-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Cape Dory 25D is a good solid boat, as is the Contessa 26, or the Pearson 28 triton....

O'Days aren't necessarily bad boats just because the company has gone out of business.

What kind of sailing do you want to be doing? Where are you going to be sailing the boat?? These questions may have more bearing on whether the Hunters or O'Day are appropriate than anything else. If you don't have an idea of what you'll be doing with the boat...it is hard to say what kind of boat would be suitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-14-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Here is what I would recommend. Go to www.yachtworld.com and just look at boats in your size and price range. Then narrow down your choices.
Old 06-14-2006

sakajote is on a distinguished road
Opinion on boats

Hi--Odays were very good, solid coastal and inland boats. I would prefer a solid used Oday over any Hunter, new or used. As to the Catalinas, they are much improved over the early days in 1970's. When we added Catalinas to the lines we sold (including ODays) in the late 70s, the fit and finish of the Catalinas were quite poor. What I have seen in later models is much improved.

Again, only my opinion, but assuming coastal or inshore sailing is your plan and a used boat is your choice, out of these three I would recommend the ODay. But there are others of note--Tartan, Sabre, C&C, Cape Dory to name only a few.

Good Luck!
Old 06-14-2006

captw3 is on a distinguished road
Pearson is a good solid boat in the size you are looking at. look realisticly at how you will use it, where you will keep it, draft or bridge clearance issues and what you want to pay. go to your local marina and talk to owners of boats you like the looks of. Theres a reason so many newer Hunters are for sale. There is a butt for every seat, mine's in a Pearson P-28-2 and liking it fine. Find out what fits yours.
Old 06-14-2006
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input everyone. I selected the Hunters and the Odays after looking at a lot of boats and liking the looks of those two brands. They fit the criteria I am looking for. But what I was seeking in this post was advice on the stuff you can't immediately see--handling, wear, etc.
Old 06-14-2006
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I would think that the Odays fall into the same categories, generally, as Rangers, Cals and other reasonably built boats that are no longer in production. There's no reason not to consider them in your quest for a new boat. Most boats sold in numbers were well-enough built to sell and if they are still going strong 20 - 30 years later that should be some comfort to you. I think that the specific history of upkeep and condition is more important than the brand in many cases as you search for a used boat of that vintage (assuming the design is sound in the first place and suits your intended use).
While I'm not a huge Hunter fan, at least in the mid to late 80s they still looked like sailboats.
Old 06-15-2006

Ronbye is on a distinguished road
I would look at what type of sailing you would want to do and how much comfort you want/really need. In our area the boat of choice by many people is a C&C 27 to a C&C 30. They are good for racing, cruising and are quite comfortable. In our club, C&C 30's seventies vintage is popular.
Old 06-15-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
One thing to always keep in mind....it's YOUR boat. So not only must it be in good shape, have good characteristics....it also should be something you are proud of (in a good sense). Use the info you gain here, but always remember, it is your boat, and you are buying it for you....not someone else. There's not much sense in buying a great handling, built,setup, boat, if it isn't pleasing to you. The technical side is important, but so is the aesthetic side as well. Quite often, once you get out and see them in person, the boat will choose you. If the O'Days and Hunters appeal to you, that's half the search.

In your size range, I would take a look at the Pearson 28-2. These were built from '85 to '89, are well built and sail well. Good luck in your search.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog